Crushing the Sugar Roller Coaster: Regain Control of Your Energy and Gut HealthJul 01, 2023
Welcome! If you're here, it means you've clicked on this blog because poor sugar handling showed up as a top concern in your Symptom Burden Assessment. Don't worry, you're not alone. Many people struggle with the effects of sugar on their gut health and energy levels. So, let's dive in and explore how sugar handling plays a lead role in your overall well-being.
What is Sugar Handling?
Sugar handling, or the body's ability to regulate and process sugar, is responsible for maintaining stable blood sugar levels and providing a consistent source of energy. When sugar handling goes awry, it can lead to a range of symptoms and imbalances that affect your daily life. Understanding these symptoms will help you identify if poor sugar handling is at the root of your concerns.
Symptoms that Speak Your Language
This is one of the top categories that come form nearly every single client. These everyday symptoms might feel all too familiar for you too if you're dealing with poor sugar handling:
- Ever find yourself tossing and turning in bed, unable to stay asleep for long?
- Cravings... oh, the cravings! It's like sugar has cast a spell on you, and you can't resist its sweet temptations. Donuts, chocolate bars, you name it!
- Have you experienced those moments of losing control around food? Binges and uncontrolled eating episodes that leave you feeling guilty and powerless.
- Afternoons can be tough. The energy crashes hit hard, and suddenly you're daydreaming about that extra shot of espresso or a sugary pick-me-up just to make it through.
- Let's not forget the shakiness, irritability, and those nasty headaches that come knocking if you skip a meal or even delay it for a little while.
- And then there's the infamous "hangry" state –– always hungry and easily triggered by the tiniest things.
Relatable??? These symptoms used to dominate my life too, creating a constant battle with food and my cravings. It felt like sugar had cast a spell on me, and I couldn't resist its allure. I tried various strategies, even resorting to eating with chopsticks as a form of portion control, but it felt like an endless cycle of restriction and guilt. Afternoons were the toughest, as the energy crashes hit hard, leaving me daydreaming about sugary pick-me-ups or an extra shot of espresso just to keep me going
If any of these symptoms resonate with you, trust me, you're not alone. Poor sugar handling can wreak havoc on your daily life, affecting your mood, energy levels, and overall well-being.
The Ripple Effect: How Poor Sugar Handling Influences Your Well-Being:
The effects of poor sugar handling extend beyond the realm of cravings and energy crashes. It can have a profound impact on various systems in your body leading to a range of symptoms. Let's take a closer look at how this connection plays out:
- Kidneys: Your kidneys work tirelessly to filter waste and maintain proper electrolyte balance. When sugar handling is compromised, it can put extra stress on these vital organs, affecting their optimal functioning. I almost always see kidney stress in my diabetic and insulin resistance clients.
- Adrenals: Your adrenal glands play a crucial role in managing stress and regulating blood sugar levels. When sugar handling is impaired, it can place excessive stress on your adrenals, leading to fatigue, crashes and imbalances in cortisol, your stress hormone.
- Thyroid: Basically when sugar handling is out of control the rest of your body will feel it, and often this can manifest as sluggishness or weight gain, as your hormones strive to to self correct.
- Female Hormones: Hormonal imbalances can be linked to poor sugar handling. Fluctuations in blood sugar levels can disrupt the delicate balance of estrogen, progesterone, and other hormones, leading to irregular menstrual cycles, PMS symptoms, and more.
- Immune System: Sugar imbalances can compromise your immune system, making you more susceptible to infections, slower wound healing, and overall reduced immune function.
Understanding the connection between poor sugar handling and these bodily systems helps us see the bigger picture of how addressing sugar handling issues can have far-reaching benefits for your overall health and well-being. That's why this is one of the very first things I address with my clients. But to be the most effective and target in my approach, I have to uncover why?
But Why Tho? Unveiling the Culprits of Poor Sugar Handling:
To understand why our sugar handling goes out of whack, we need to take a closer look at the potential factors behind it. It's not just about the amount of sugar we consume, but also how our bodies handle and regulate it. Here are some key causes and their connections to disrupted glucose regulation: